Saturday, September 26, 2009

sweet memories and small studies





These acrylic paintings on luan are both 3 1/2 inches by 5 1/2 inches. I did them in 1996, around the time I spent a week at the Vermont Studio Center on a Vermont Artists week grant. It was a wonderful time to be alive and an artist. I got a studio right after that week at the center and shortly after turned it into a gallery, which I briefly shared with Ruth Pope, but mainly ran by myself under the name Shayna Gallery, for the following 10 months. It was a sweet little run, but not sustainable. Artists and art lovers in the area still remember it fondly, as do I.

I'm remembering that time and the studio/gallery now because a friend visited my studio recently who is interested in taking home a painting from the above series (it's larger and on canvas but the gesture/line is similar).

No comments: